- 8:48 am - Wed, Jul 9, 2014
- 2 notes
6 Student-Athletes Earn VaSID Academic All-State Honors
NORFOLK, Va. – Six Norfolk State student-athletes were named to the Virginia Sports Information Directors (VaSID) Academic All-State Team for the 2013-14 calendar year, as released by the organization.
Senior Thea Aspiras (bowling), juniors Igor Braga (men’s tennis), E.J. Rogers (football) and Alina Moriarty (softball) and sophomores Andrea Macchiavello (women’s tennis) and Dzmitry Zyhmantovich (men’s tennis) were the six NSU representatives on this year’s team. Braga and Rogers were named Academic All-State for the second straight year.
To earn VaSID Academic All-State honors, a student-athlete must have achieved at least a 3.25 grade point average and be at least a sophomore. Each school in the state is allowed six nominees.
Below are the honorees with their 2013-14 classification, hometown, GPA, major and sport listed:
• Thea Aspiras, Senior, Chesapeake, Va., 3.81, Fine arts/Graphic Design, Women’s Bowling
• Igor Braga, Junior, Brasilia, Brazil, 3.90, Computer Science, Men’s Tennis
• Andrea Macchiavello, Sophomore, Boca Raton, Fla., 3.93, Business entrepreneurship, Women’s Tennis
• Alina Moriarty, Junior, Chesapeake, Va., 3.74, Biology, Softball
• E.J. Rogers, Junior, Alexandria, Va., 3.82, Mass Communication, Football
• Dzmitry Zyhmantovich, Sophomore, Minsk, Belarus, 3.83, Finance, Men’s Tennis
Each of the six had also previously been named to the NSU Athletics Director’s Honor Roll and the MEAC Commissioner’s All-Academic Team during the 2013-14 school year. Braga and Macchiavello were the 2013-14 NSU Male and Female Scholar Athletes of the Year, respectively. Aspiras, Moriarty and Zyhmantovich had each earned All-MEAC honors for their respective sports during 2013-14 as well, with Aspiras and Zyhmantovich taking first-team all-conference accolades and Moriarty earning second-team all-conference honors. Zyhmantovich was the 2014 MEAC Men’s Tennis Player of the Year.